I am often guilty of spending too much time focusing on the main dish that I tend to neglect the sides. I never make side dishes with more than 1 or 2 ingredients. However, this is a side dish that I generally have all the ingredients on hand and it is easy to throw together. This rice was so delicious with the creamy salsa chicken that I made. I will definitely be making this one again.
Sour Cream Rice
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 (8.75 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
In a large pot, bring the rice and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
In the pot with the cooked rice, mix the sour cream, green chile peppers, 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, corn, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and top with remaining cheese.
Bake uncovered 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
Source: Carrie’s Sweet Life